32 hours in Enschede / Amsterdam
We are Open Social. We develop online community software (think: your own private Facebook platform) that helps organizations like Greenpeace and the United Nations fulfill their missions.
We are looking for a Jr. Market Development Representative to help us to power positive change across the globe. Sound cool? Keep scrolling!
What's the job?
In short: Your role in the sales and marketing team will be to follow up on inbound leads, provide demonstrations of the Open Social software to potential customers, sell our Basic product, and set up meetings with account executives to hand-over more important leads.
Your job: Market Development Representatives (or MDRs) are specialized sales reps that focus specifically on inbound prospects and marketing qualified leads. previously, SaaS sales teams were able to survive purely one securing new and large customers. In today’s changing environment, buyers educate themselves on solutions to their problems and are wary of old pushy sales tactics.
Your task is to invest early-on in our potential clients to educate them on what is important for their communities based on your understanding of the client’s challenge, our wide range of solutions, and what you have seen in the market. You are educating the customer on the real problem and how to look for the right solution. Your experience is represented in their requirements in the form of features and functionalities. You approach as a consultative sale. During the consultative sales process, you gradually ramp up the quality of resources as you navigate through an organization.
Your goal: In the sales and marketing team, you are responsible for qualifying the leads and turning them into what are called Marketing Qualified Leads (MQLs). These are created through the marketing mix of paid acquisition, inbound marketing, referrals, and brand awareness. To become a Sales Qualified Lead (SQL), you nurture MQLs until they have enough interest that they are sales-ready.
The main difference between a Market Development Representative and a Sales Development Representative is that first is focused on inbound prospects and nurturing leads, while the latter is focused on outbound email and phone activity.
A bit about us
Open Social empowers people by providing an open-source platform to build online communities of like-minded individuals. Replacing traditional intranets, Open Social fuels bottom-up innovation within organizations.
Early versions of our offering have won the prestigious Dutch Interactive Awards. The project, Greenpeace Greenwire, helps more than 100.000 volunteers of Greenpeace bring positive change to the world around the globe. In The Netherlands alone, the software increased volunteering by 600%.
We offer our software in different versions: a free distribution, a fully maintained software-as-a-service, and an enterprise edition. It's built with open-source platform Drupal, a web technology for creating ambitious digital experiences and has more than a hundred thousand active contributors worldwide.
The project is developed by a team of 25 people in The Netherlands. Our offices are based in tech-hub TQ in Amsterdam and in Twente, and both are part of the Dutch StartupDelta; Europe’s largest startup ecosystem.
Success for us means being the global leader in online community software for NGOs, extranets, and ideation communities. We power social change, innovate with open-source software at scale, all while becoming a hundred-million-dollar company.
- Using our online chat to establish the first connection with potential clients
- Following up with incoming software requests
- Setting up demo environments for interested clients and educating them on Open Social and our solutions and services
- Qualifying leads from marketing campaigns as sales opportunities
- Identifying client needs and suggesting appropriate products/services
- Proactively seeking new business opportunities in the market
- Setting up meetings or calls between (prospective) clients and Head of Sales
- Reporting to the Head of Sales on regular basis sales results
- Staying up-to-date with new products/services and new pricing/payment plans
- Creating educational content (e.g. blog posts and videos) for potential clients and existing clients. (pre)
- Researching marketing automation tools to turn an MQL into an SQL and get the best sales insights
- Attending events such as webinars and trade shows
- Growing into senior sales or customer success role
The knowledge you bring to the team
- Hands-on experience with account management or customer success (pre)
- Experience with CSM software (pre)
- Familiarity with spreadsheets (analyzing data and charts)
- Understanding of customer success metrics
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to deliver engaging presentations
- BSc degree in Marketing, Business Administration or relevant field (pre)
And preferably you are someone that... (nice-to-haves)
- BA/BS degree in Marketing, Business Administration or relevant field
- 0.5+ years of experience in a B2B setting
- Fluent English speaking or equivalent
- Excellent communication skills, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to seamlessly work with marketers and engineers
- The passionate about solving hard customer problems and winning as a team
- Hands-on experience with multiple sales techniques (including cold calls)
- Track record of achieving sales quotas
- Experience with CRM software
- Familiarity with Google Analytics and Spreadsheets (analyzing data and charts)
- Understanding of sales performance metrics
- Ability to deliver engaging presentations
And preferably also (nice-to-haves)
- Experience with B2B SaaS product marketing
- Experience with cold calling and emailing
- Proven experience writing high quality content of different lengths (e.g., blog posts, white papers).
- Strong quantitative ability, experience with Google Analytics or similar services.
- Experience in the email marketing and/or marketing automation industries.
- Knowledge of / experience with open-source software such as Drupal
We offer you these benefits:
- A competitive salary, travel allowance, and a modern pension plan.
- Plenty of opportunities for personal growth and development. According to 'the best employer ranking' of the NRC we even belong to the top 30 'new heroes' in The Netherlands, which we mainly owe to our high score on the personal development section.
- Inspiring workplaces in the heart of Enschede and/or Amsterdam
- Excellent hardware and comfortable workplaces.
- Fun team activities, from running marathons in London to an elaborate new year's dinner.
- Collective lunches. You can join us without a fuss!
- A fully paid gym membership.
What are you waiting for? Apply now!
Please submit your application by sending your cover letter, resume, and portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org. The first interviews are planned in September.
@ Recruiters: thank you for your interest, but we got this!